The opportunity for intimacy with your partner presents itself, but things don’t go according to plan.
A failure to achieve a full erection or to keep an erection long enough for sex is a common problem.
Millions of men in the United States are dealing with the symptoms of erectile dysfunction.
But what can you do if you have trouble getting an erection?
We’ll take a look at it in the article below.
[Related: 4 Myths About Erectile Dysfunction]
Why Can’t I Get Or Keep an Erection?
Keep in mind that being unable to get an erection every once in a while isn’t ED.
You only have to worry about ED if you can’t get an erection consistently.
But many men find that they can’t get or stay hard at some point.
They are unable to get an erection when they want to, or they can’t keep their erection going as long as they want.
As you age, erections might take longer to develop and not be as firm.
But erectile dysfunction can happen to men of any age and isn’t just a problem for older men.
There a variety of risk factors can contribute to erectile dysfunction, including:
- Medical conditions like diabetes, heart conditions, and high blood pressure
- Tobacco use decreases blood flow to veins and arteries can cause chronic health conditions that lead to erectile dysfunction
- Being overweight and obesity
- Low testosterone levels
- Prostate surgery or radiation treatment can also cause ED
- Injuries that damage the nerves or arteries that control erections
- Medications like antidepressants, antihistamines, high blood pressure medication, and pain medications
- Psychological conditions like stress, performance anxiety, or depression
- Long-term drug and alcohol use
What Are The Causes Of Erectile Dysfunction?
Sexual arousal is an involved process that requires your brain, hormones, feelings, nerves, muscles, blood vessels, and more to be in sync.
Erectile dysfunction can be caused by an issue with any of these.
Stress and mental health concerns can also cause or worsen erectile dysfunction.
A combination of physical and psychological issues causes erectile dysfunction in men.
Physical Causes Of Erectile Dysfunction
A physical condition commonly causes erectile dysfunction, and your physical health directly influences your sexual health.
Common physical causes of ED are:
- Tobacco use
- Heart disease
- Multiple sclerosis
- Surgeries or injuries that affect the pelvic area or spinal cord
- High blood pressure
- Low testosterone
- Clogged blood vessels
- High cholesterol
- Substance abuse
- Peyronie’s disease
- Metabolic syndrome
- Treatments for prostate cancer or enlarged prostate
- Sleep disorders
- Parkinson’s disease
- Prescription medications
Psychological Causes Of Erectile Dysfunction
Your brain and psychological well-being play a pivotal role in initiating the series of physical events that cause an erection.
This usually starts with feelings of sexual excitement that lead to sexual stimulation.
Several things can interfere with sexual feelings and cause or worsen erectile dysfunction, including:
- Other mental health conditions and emotional issues
- Relationship problems due to stress, poor communication, or other issues
How You Can Treat Erection Problems?
The severity of your ED is considered mild, moderate, or severe.
Severe ED is also known as complete ED.
The first step to treating your erection trouble is identifying where you fall on this scale.
When the cause of your ED is identified, and your doctor understands how severe your ED is, treatments for erectile dysfunction are pretty straightforward.
Options for treating erection problems may include:
- Couples therapy
- Surgery, including penile implant surgery
- Oral medications like sildenafil (Viagra) and tadalafil (Cialis)
- Cognitive behavioral therapy
- Sex Therapy
- Penis pumps
- Medications injected into the urethra like alprostadil (MUSE)
- Medications injected into the corpus cavernosum of the penis like alprostadil (Caverject, Edex)
- Vacuum devices
Several physical causes of erection problems are related to lifestyle choices.
If you struggle with ED or you want stronger erections, consider the following lifestyle changes:
- Stopping using tobacco
- Drink less alcohol
- Get plenty of rest
- Eat a healthy diet
- Have open communication with your partner about sexual issues
- Address mental health concerns
If lifestyle changes aren’t enough to reduce your symptoms, speak to a doctor to determine the root cause of your erection problems.
A doctor may examine your penis, rectum, and prostate and the function of your nervous system.
They’ll need to know when your symptoms began and whether you have any current or chronic health conditions.
Visit The Men’s Health Clinic In Atlanta, Choice Men’s Health
If you’re having trouble getting an erection, the best thing you can do is see a professional.
ED is very common, but no two patients with ED are alike, and treatments may vary significantly.
Medications like PDE5 inhibitors are safe and effective for some, but others need alternatives like vacuum erection devices, acoustic wave therapy, penile injection therapy, and penile implants.
Erectile Dysfunction Clinics specialize in diagnosing and treating erectile dysfunction.
The certified medical professionals at Choice Men’s Health offer personalized erectile dysfunction treatment options to help men reconnect with their partners.
Our one-on-one appointments are discreet and confidential, and we have high success rates with our treatments.
We’ll reinvigorate your active sex life and improve your overall quality of life with our customized ED treatment plans.
If you are experiencing any erection issues or have questions about erectile dysfunction, Choice Men’s Health is the best erectile dysfunction clinic in Atlanta, helping men have great sex again.
Schedule an appointment with our Atlanta ED Specialists to get started on your Erectile Dysfunction Treatment by calling (404) 400-3717 or filling out a form here.